covid-19 • health advice • immune system • diet
Whether or not you're in an affected area, taking steps to keep your immune system in good condition is a good idea. Some tips:
• Be skeptical of herbal supplements. There's no good evidence that they work.
• Exercise may be difficult if you're quarantined, but it can help improve your blood pressure and circulation.
• Try to reduce your stress and get enough sleep. I know it's easier said than done, but stress and poor sleep can weaken your body's defences.
• Vitamins D, C and E are good for immunity. Helpful things to include in your diet are citrus fruit, fish, green vegetables like spinach and broccoli, sunflower seeds, and bell peppers. Many of these can be chopped and frozen to keep them fresh.
• Laugh at something. It sounds clichéed, but it does help reduce your body's stress hormones.
• Be wary of isolation. It stresses you out. If you're stuck indoors, online spaces like this can help.